Friday, June 13, 2008

Sisters

My living daughters are 5 years apart in age. They've never really spent much time just playing together. In fact, they've spent an awful lot of time over the years bickering with each other. Five years is a pretty big gap. And when you're 11 years old, little sisters are pests. (I know. My sister is 4 years younger than me.)

Maegan, my 6 year old, has often come to me in tears because her sister refuses to play with her. And my oldest daughter, McKenzi, has complained quite frequently that her little sister just won't leave her alone.

Not long after we told the kids about the new baby on the way, Maegan came to me upset that her sister had told her to get out of her room, again. "Mom", she said. "I'm going to be a good big sister. And when the baby wants me to play with her, I'm going to. And I'm going to help change her diapers, and dress her. And I'll read books to her and help feed her. I know how to be a good sister to the baby." (Just a note, we didn't know yet that we were having a girl.)

Maegan was so sweet and sincere in her resolve to be the best big sister she could to this new little one. She knew how much it hurt when her own big sister snubbed her. And with a heart full of love and compassion for a baby sister who wasn't even born yet, she was already making plans for their future as sisters.

That was before.

Makelle would have been 6 years younger than Maegan. And if she has given one gift to her sisters, it is the gift of love. A precious and tender love that has awakened in both of them over the last few months. I'm sure that losing their baby sister has opened their eyes to not only what they are missing, but what they have right in front of them. I've watched as McKenzi has blossomed and grown drastically in the recent months, into the "good big sister" that Maegan was planning to be for Makelle. Suddenly, she is patient with her. She reads to her. She helps her with her workbook and chores. She's the first to give her a good morning hug every day. And she takes her to her room each night to help her say her prayers.

Don't get me wrong. It's not all perfect. They still argue at times. But the difference in the way they are with each other is amazing.

Yesterday, they spent the entire afternoon playing "horses" together. McKenzi was the horse and Maegan, the lucky rider. They romped around the backyard and through the house for hours, Maegan's jump rope tied around her horse's middle (because Mom won't let them tie it around her neck, obviously), laughing and having a grand time. Maegan even hitched her "horse" to the wagon for a quick ride around the back patio.

I love to see my girls play together and love each other. But my heart aches, knowing that one of my girls is missing.

Thank you for bringing us so much love Makelle. We miss you little sister.

2 comments:

Anthony and Christel said...

Ok, that made me cry. I am so sorry for your loss of your sweet baby girl. I can imagine that it would be the hardest thing to go through in life. I am glad that you are trying to stay strong throughout this trial. It is hard, but it will make you grow and draw nearer to our Heavenly Father. It was so difficult for me and my family to deal with the loss of my mom when I was 6, but we somehow did it, and grew from it. You will too, and I am sure that you already have. I am glad that I am getting to know you better, and am glad that you are in the ward. Oh ya, if you ever need or want help with your blog, I can help anytime. :) Have a great Sunday.

brandii said...

Misti~ I am so glad you decided to write thru your journey. I feel very honored that you chose to share it with me (us:) ).

Know that I am with you, reading your words, absorbing your emotions,peeking in your world, trailing along on your ride...holding your hand :)