Monday, June 23, 2008

My child's name

The mention of my child's name
may bring tears to my eyes,
But it never fails to bring
music to my ears.

If you are really my friend,
let me hear the beautiful
music of her name.

It soothes my broken heart
and sings to my soul.

~ Author Unknown

Some friends of mine put together an amazingly beautiful quilt for me after Makelle died. Each square of the quilt holds a thought or a quote, and the names of many dear friends who love us and hold us in their hearts. Since they are all scattered throughout the world, the quilt was a way for them to come together in their love for us and to give us comfort during our time of heartache. I often wrap myself in the quilt and imagine their loving arms around me.

The poem above is just one of my favorite thoughts from the quilt. I love to hear my daughter's name. Makelle Adeline. Sometime I'll post the story of how she came to have such a beautiful name.

My daughter is real. She deserves to be remembered and recognized. Thank you to all my sweet friends who aren't afraid to speak her name.

1 comment:

Anthony and Christel said...

I also think that her name is beautiful. I am glad that you have such wonderful friends to think of doing something so special for you and your family. That quilt will always be a reminder of how blessed you are to have Makelle in your family, and a reminder of the wonderful day when you can be reunited with her.