Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Look

I caught the look again today.

I took the kids to our weekly movie (we signed up for the weekly $1 movies for the summer) and while we were waiting in line, I ran in to a friend I hadn't seen for several months. I would have loved to have spent a few minutes catching up with her, chatting about our kids and anything else that came up. Instead, we exchanged a quick "hello, how are you?" and I watched as her eyes dropped to my stomach... and then came "the look".

"The look" is the confusion that crosses the face of someone who obviously hasn't heard that our baby has died. It's the look on their face that says they want to ask, but aren't sure what to ask.

I never know how to respond to the look. It always catches me off guard so I just don't say anything at all. But it stabs at my heart. Am I betraying my daughter by not saying anything? Or will I completley scare and shock people if I do say something? I don't know.

I don't like the look.

1 comment:

brandii said...

oh my. That must be hard.

I don't know what to say to that. I suppose it's obvious that *something* happened though...

You know Misti, as your due date approaches I find myself thinking more and more of you and Makelle.


(((hugs)))