Friday, September 26, 2008

I'm here... sort of

I'm sorry I haven't been blogging lately. Morning sickness is kicking my behind.

Yup, you read that right. We are thrilled to be expecting again!

KC and I are hopeful and very excited. But there is also quite a bit of fear and anxiety lurking in the back of our minds right now. I sure wish that fear would just go away. But something tells me it's going to be hanging around for the next 7 months or so at least.

I am happy to report that for now, everything is going very well. According to my first ultrasound last week, our little one is due April 27, 2009, which means I am about 9 1/2 weeks right now. When I was pregnant with Makelle, the morning sickness (HA! Who ever came up with that name has obviously never been pregnant) started to get better at about 13-14 weeks, which is actually not the norm for me. With all my others I was sick until 22 weeks and even beyond! So I'm hoping this one will follow Makelle's trend and go easy on me. I'd love to be feeling better by Halloween!

Here's a picture of our little bean.



This pregnancy has brought out an entirely new host of emotions that were somewhat unexpected for me. I knew I'd be feeling scared. I was prepared for the anxiety and apprehension. But what about the guilt? I never expected that.

Part of me feels guilty for letting someone else move into Makelle's "place" inside me. She was to be our last child. Her time spent growing in my womb was so precious and dear to me. Am I betraying her memory by letting someone else have that place for a time?

Part of me feels guilty for the time I spend dwelling on thoughts of this new life I'm carrying, instead of thinking about my precious daughter who is waiting for me. Sometimes I've found that almost the entire day has passed and not once have I thought about Makelle. Instead my mind has been busy thinking about this new baby. I know I could never forget my angel. But I don't want to let a day go by without thinking about her and telling her how much I love and miss her. And while I know no one could ever take her place in my heart, I don't want this new life to take her place in my mind either.

And then there's a touch of denial. If I didn't feel so sick all the time, I'd probably swear up and down this pregnancy isn't happening. What's that all about!? I think it's a defense mechanism. Deep down, I am terrified to get attached to this baby. Of course, it's too late. I'm already in love. But I tell myself not to think about the future too much. Things can change in an instant and I shouldn't get my hopes up. I learned that the hard way last time. I won't let myself think beyond this week, or next month, or heaven forbid next April. I can't think about names, or baby clothes, or car seats. I can't plan. I can't make lists. I cringe when my kids talk about "the new baby". It shouldn't be this way. But it is.

Maybe I sound crazy. I know a lot of people think we are crazy. Crazy for trying again. Crazy for taking this risk after two horrible pregnancy experiences. Crazy for wanting another child when our youngest is already 6 years old.

But are we crazy for having faith? Are we crazy for trusting that the Lord knows what's best for us?

Please know that we are doing what we feel is right for our family. We spent countless hours in prayer, pleading to know which path we should take. And while we can't see the end of that path, we do believe that no matter the outcome, we are on the correct path for us right now.

So now is the time when I ask for your prayers. Please pray for our little one. Please pray for my health, and for our peace of mind. We desperately need the support, love and prayers of our friends and families right now. We are scared. But we are hopeful. Every day brings us one day closer to holding our live, healthy, precious new son or daughter in our arms. And so for now that's how I'm living... one day at a time. One prayer at a time.

With hope,

13 comments:

Anthony and Christel said...

Oh my gosh Misti, that is wonderful for you and your family! I hope that all goes well with this baby. Congrats!!

Cynthia said...

Congrats on your good news. I know what you mean about the fear and anxiety though. My pregnancy following our stillbirth was very stressful. I am normally a calm person, but I was just tied up in knots for those nine months. I think that once you've experienced what can go wrong, you can't go back to being blissfully unaware. You can however be happy with your life as it is. I find so much joy in my children that I've been able to have with me on this earth. I've really been enjoying reading your blogs. Thank you for sharing. I hope all goes well for you.

Megan said...

Makelle would want you to be happy for this new baby. She has already met who is coming to join your family, and she wants you to rejoice in it! Don't feel guilty for being excited for being pregnant again! Makelle knows how much you love her and that you miss her.

I know all too well how anxious you feel and I wish it didn't have to be that way for those of us that have had a loss, or two, or SIX for heavens sake! Make "Thy will be done" your motto and you will have peace no matter what! :)

Diane said...

Oh, Misti, I'm so happy for you!

As I read your blog I just kept having this little picture in my mind of Makelle lovingly preparing her little brother or sister to join your family.

I will absolutely be praying for you!

The Shawcrofts said...

I'm praying for you Misti! You are such a strong example of faith.

Natalee said...

Oh Misti! You just made my whole day! Hardly a day goes by that I don't think about you, and wonder how you are doing that day and what if anything I could do to "help" you! I am SO happy for you and your family! I was so happy to see you in the foyer of the church a few weeks ago, and wanted to talk to you so badly, but we kind of got whisked away into our interview and when we got out you were gone. I think that you being pregnant is just amazing! I understand the feelings of guilt, I feel it far too much, but I can only imagine how happy and excited Makelle is right now to be becoming a big sister in a few months. I think the fact that you are having another baby shows just how much you do love Makelle. In no way does it seem like you are replacing her! I will certainly be praying for you and your health, but I hope you don't mind if I also pray that your "guilt" will be replaced with tremendous joy!! Congratulations again!!!

Inside my heart said...

I am a stranger to you, but I feel like I know you after reviewing your blog. I got your blog from pyp, but we share much in common. I had a stillbirth on May 4, 2008. My living chilrdren are 9,7, & 4. I too wonder if Heavenly Father gave me these strong instincts that there was another child, only to have lost him due to stillbirth. Congratulations on your pregnancy, we've contemplated trying again, but am sooo scared. As someone else mentioned, you will be so much more aware of the problems that can go wrong. But odds are in your favor and I can only pray for your health and safety throughout this pregnancy.

Brigitte said...

Misti- Congratulations on your pregnancy. I want you to know I've been thinking about you and your heartache. Hang in there- I'll keep checking your blog to see how you're doing.
Mommasue from PYP

KMDuff said...

congratulations Misti! -allyall

Sherrie said...

Misti,
I am thrilled to hear your wonderful news! I am out of town and don't have your number.Call or e-mail me.
Sherrie
910-366-2410

brandii said...

Look at the wee one!
Congratulations Misti !! :)

Steacey said...

I feel a little sending this message as I don't know you and, fortunately, have never been through such a difficult tragedy, but I wanted to tell you that your blog touched me. It brought me to tears. I admire your strength, your ability to cope and your faith. I will pray for you, your family, and your little baby. I hope that all goes well.

camilla said...

Hey, I found your blog off of my friend Mary Ann's and I just wanted to write you a note. My first baby was stillborn at 26 weeks. Her name was Kylee Emma, she was beautiful. She was my first and I didn't think that I would live through it. It took a while to recover, but as time passes, it is easier and easier to deal with. I just wanted to let you know that with my next pregnancy, I also felt guilt and was surprised that I felt some animosity towards the baby in my belly because he was in her space. All of these feelings are normal. I ended up actally going through LDS family services and talking to someone on my third pregnancy because the anxiety became too much for me. It helped SO much. I hope for the best. I now have two healthy sons and am thinking about trying again, but it still kind of scares me. I hope this pregnancy goes well for you. E-mail me if you ever want to talk to someone who has been there. camillamccammon@msn.com