Thursday, August 14, 2008

Confessions

Sorry I haven't had much time to post lately. We've been trying to cram as much fun as we can into the last few weeks of summer. We're having so much fun! I'm going to be sad to see it end. School starts in 7 days and my 4 kiddos are all going to be in school all day this year. I'm sure going to miss them.

Anyway, how about a little fun with some confessions!?

* Let's see... I have a horrible phone phobia. (I just looked it up. It's called Telephonophobia.) I'd rather do just about anything than pick up the phone and call someone I don't know. Making doctors appointments, ordering a pizza, calling the school to let them know I have a sick kid at home... it all sends me into a near panic attack! Seems silly, I know. I guess I'm afraid I'll forget what I'm trying to say, or that it won't come out the way I wanted it to. I prefer email or text messaging any day over talking on the phone. Even those lovely automated phone systems that most people despise. I love 'em!! An automated phone system doesn't laugh like a live person does when I have an anxiety attack and trip over my own tongue.

* We have never taken a family vacation. Sad, huh? I've tried a few times over the last few years to plan some sort of trip, but I always end up completely overwhelmed. I think I worry too much about making sure I'm getting the best deal for my money too. I am so frugal and cheap, it would kill me to know I could have done something cheaper, or planned something differently to save more money. Typing that out makes me realize those are pretty lame excuses. Does anyone out there want to offer to be my personal travel agent? I promise to bring you back a souvenir! lol

* I sleep with Makelle's blanket every night. The night she was born, my nurse gave me a tiny, white, crocheted blanket. I held on to that blanket all night long while I was in labor. The minute my angel was in my arms, I wrapped her up in it. When I fall asleep each night, I hold her blanket close to me and tell her in my mind how much I love her and miss her. I don't know who made that tiny little blanket. I wish I did know. I would love to thank them for giving me something soft to hold on to for now... until my Makelle is in my arms again.

* Lastly, I didn't teach Maegan to ride her two-wheeler this summer like I'd set out to. Instead, she taught herself!!

After countless hours chasing her back and forth across the back patio, holding on to her seat and hoping she would finally find her balance, she wound up doing it all on her own. Silly kid!

Last night, after we'd zig-zagged the patio a dozen times or so, I decided to take a break. Maegan was trying to push herself along on her bike with her feet, but she couldn't quite reach the ground well enough to get some good momentum. So I lowered her seat for her and figured I'd let her have a go at "coasting" around on her own. She'd push off with her feet a few times until she picked up enough speed and pretty quickly I could see she was finding her balance! Within about 20 minutes she said, "I'm going to try with the pedals now, Mom." And so she did! She's so tickled with herself, she spent the entire afternoon today riding around the patio.

I can't even tell you how happy I am to see her take off on her bike like that. Many of you already know Maegan's story. But for those who don't, Maegan was a 25 week preemie (I'll tell the long version another day). She had physical therapy from the time she was a baby until she was 3 years old, just to teach her to roll over, to crawl, to walk, run, jump, and climb stairs. She learned quickly, but she has always had a bit of a gross motor delay. So you can see how riding a two-wheeler is a huge accomplishment for her! (She's also taught herself to jump-rope this summer. I'll have to share a video of her doing it another day.)

So I'll leave you with a short video clip of my "Miracle Maegan". Enjoy!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Misti,

Love reading this blog. :-) I'm always thinking of you, and this is such a nice way to stay "connected". Thank you for sharing. (by the way, love reading about your "phone phobia; remember that I have that too?!?! we talked about it a looong time ago.) ;-)

Megan said...

That video of Mae is precious! I love the end where she stops right in front of you and just beams! Precious!

Your phobias are cute; you seem to do allright talking on the phone to me!! :) Sleeping with Makelle's blanket is sweet. I am glad they gave that to you! I am certain you will meet the person who made it someday, even if that day is in the next life!

Diane said...

I am so glad I found your blog! I can't believe how totally grown up Maegan is getting. I have thought about you so often over the last several months, but every time I go to write to you the words just seem so trite. Please know how much I care!

Diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cynthia said...

Hi. I usually don't do this, but somehow I followed some links looking for some LDS crafts and found the poem about a grieving mother. I absolutely love it. It really says what a grieving mother feels. I have four children on earth and two in heaven. My son was stillborn at 39 1/2 weeks 9years ago. Then just last March, my precious 10 year old boy died following a sudden and tragic accident. Thank you for posting the poem.